Tom Merritt lists 5 expertise traits to look at in 2022, which embody CBDCs and battery tech.
2022 is coming, and the expertise world isn’t sitting nonetheless. As I cowl tech information day by day for Every day Tech Information Present, I get a entrance row seat as traits arrive, speed up and disappear.
This is my tackle the highest 5 tech traits to search for in 2022.
1. Central financial institution digital currencies or CBDCs. You will have seen protection of this about restricted experiments in China or small international locations implementing them. I imply precise authorities digital currencies just like the Bahamas not adopting bitcoin like El Salavador. This 12 months, extra main governments will get within the sport of making a government-issued digital forex in an try and stave off perceived threats of the cryptocurrency wave.
2. Battery tech. I am not going to foretell a giant battery tech breakthrough – that’s 5-10 years away. However photo voltaic and wind are going to maintain getting higher and extra modern and that is going to shine a brilliant mild on what we are able to do with current battery tech. Think about what you’ve got seen occur to smartphone batteries occurring to industrialized energy storage.
3. The chip scarcity. Sadly, I don’t assume it’ll finish this 12 months, however by the tip of 2022 we are going to see the sunshine on the finish of the tunnel, or delivery lane, or no matter logistical metaphor you fancy. In actual fact, prepare for tales round managing capability, as fabs catch up, and all these new crops being constructed have to be justified.
4. Metaverse. You’ll hear the phrase metaverse lots. Nonetheless, identical to now, it’ll largely be meaningless. There might be no precise metaverse in 2022, although a number of corporations will declare they’ve performed it. Web3 is actual – metaverse isn’t… but.
5. AI backlash. I’ll guess the backlash in opposition to AI will swell. There was a rising concern over bias in machine studying algorithms, which can proceed to develop into mainstream consciousness. That, fed by considerably unfounded fears of the results of AI, will result in boycotts, and requires extra regulation. Count on what’s occurred to information privateness to begin shifting to AI.
Sorry, I do know all of that wasn’t sunny, however they’re the traits I see earlier than me. Verify again subsequent 12 months to see simply how proper – or fallacious – I used to be.
Subscribe to TechRepublic Prime 5 on YouTube for all the most recent tech recommendation for enterprise professionals from Tom Merritt.